One of businesses’ biggest security concerns: keeping sensitive data safe when employees take it outside of the office. Here are some ways to minimize the risk:
- Don’t assume users know the rules — It may be obvious to IT that sensitive information shouldn’t be sent via e-mail outside the company network, but without an explicit policy, many users won’t know that.
- Use encryption — Instead of giving users a reason to use their personal USB drives to transport data, provide them with encrypted drives. Also make sure laptops, smartphones and other devices folks use for work are encrypted.
- Block the use of mobile drives — If users work with data that’s especially sensitive, you may want to configure their computers to restrict the connection of removable storage.
- Watch out for WiFi connections — Train users to avoid unsecure wireless public wireless networks.
- Control access to data — A key step in protecting sensitive data, mobile or not: Make sure only users who need the information have access to it.