According to recent reports, competition for talent to fill IT jobs is higher than it’s been in several years. And demand for one IT skill in particular is rapidly growing.
A lot of companies are now looking for IT pros with experience in cloud computing, according to a recent report from job market researchers WANTED Analytics.
During February, more than 5,000 job ads seeking cloud computing professionals were posted online, according to WANTED’s data. That’s an increase of 92% compared to a year ago, and a four-fold increase since 2010.
What are companies looking for? Software engineers, system engineers and network administrators were the tech jobs that most often had cloud computing skills as a requirement.
Specifically, the most common skills listed in ads for cloud professionals were:
- Oracle Java
- Software as a Service
- Python Extensible Programming Language
- Service Oriented Architecture
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)
- Cisco Network Associate (CCNA)
- VMWare Certified Professional (VCP)
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP)
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
- Information Security Penetration Testing Professional (ISP)
- Cisco CCIE Voice (CCIE)
However, it’s not just IT jobs that need cloud experience now. Just two-thirds of the job listings found by WANTED were for tech positions. The others included jobs in marketing, sales, management and finance.
WANTED also found that there’s a limited talent pool available to fill positions that require cloud computing skills, meaning companies that need to hire may find it to be more difficult than in the past — and that IT managers currently employing cloud experts may find it tough to hang on to those people in the coming months.
For help, read our advice on recruiting and retaining IT professionals when competition is stiff.